Overview

Food technology

This is a very popular and highly enjoyable subject at John Smeaton Academy. Food technology will give pupils a wide range of desirable skills. We aim to encourage a lasting interest in nutrition, healthy eating and for pupils to become competent in a range of cooking techniques. Students will gain skills in team work, time management and have a responsible attitude to health and safety. They should develop lively, enquiring minds, practicing recipes suitable for themselves and others.

Year 7

In year 7, pupils have the opportunity to select food as part of their creative design option. If they choose this they will be learning about healthy diets, hygiene & safety, sensory analysis and basic cooking skills. This involves cooking great food that tastes good, is cheap to produce and contributes to a healthy, balanced diet. Examples of practicals:

  • Vegetable stir fry
  • Scone based pizza
  • Fruity cereal bar

Year 8

In year 8, pupils have the opportunity to select food as part of their creative design option. If they choose this they will be learning about food & culture around the world, baking techniques and project work. This involves cooking great food that tastes good, is cheap to produce and contributes to a healthy, balanced diet. Examples of practicals:

  • Paella
  • Baked fish & chips
  • Pasta salad with homemade dressing

Year 9

In year 9, pupils have the option to select food as a pre-GCSE option. They will be developing practical skills and theoretical skills and knowledge that will prepare them for the requirements of GCSE.

They will be progressing to higher level making skills and the science of cooking. They will need to understand the function of ingredients, product development and analysis and evaluation of products. The curriculum is delivered through a mix of theory and practical lessons to embed the content covered.

Examples of higher level making skills:

  • Fresh pasta
  • Sweet and savoury pastry
  • Cake baking
  • Bread making

Year 10/11 GCSE (one year course)

In year 10 or 11 students have the opportunity to study AQA Design & Technology: Food Technology. This follows the AQA syllabus which can be accessed at www.aqa.org. This course helps students develop their creativity, with making food products a vital feature of their experience. The course is split into two units – 60% of which is coursework where students will research and develop their own original ideas, plan and produce products and develop, adapt and evaluate them. The other 40% is made up of a written exam where students will be tested on a wide range of subject material including eating for health, making food safe and functional properties of food.

 

 

 

 


John Smeaton Academy is part of United Learning. United Learning comprises: UCST (Registered in England No: 2780748. Charity No. 1016538)
and ULT (Registered in England No. 4439859. An Exempt Charity). Companies limited by guarantee. VAT number 834 8515 12.
Registered address: United Learning, Worldwide House, Thorpe Wood, Peterborough, PE3 6SB.