Students who opt to study GCSE Dance will have three lessons a week and cover two components. Lessons will be split practically and theoretically which will provide students with an insight into choreographing and performing should they wish to follow a career path in this industry.
The course comprises of the following components:
Component 1 – Performance (30%) and Choreography (30%)
- Students will learn two set phrases set by AQA and will perform these as solos to be assessed formally. Students will also perform a duet/trio set by the teacher developing the AQA set phrases, this will also be assessed formally.
Component 2 – Dance Appreciation (40%)
- Students will critically appreciate their own performance and choreography, through describing, analysing, interpreting, evaluating and reflecting. Students must also study all six works in their entirety and be prepared to describe, analyse, interpret, evaluate and reflect on the works in response to short answers and extended writing questions.
Year 10 overview:
- Emancipation of Expressionism by Kendrick H2O Sandy and Artificial Things by Lucy Bennett
- Developing technical and physical skills, Improving technique, broadening vocabulary and understanding expressive skills.
- Shadows By Christopher Bruce and Infra by Wayne McGregor
- Understanding the processes of researching and improvising, responding to a given stimulus. Understanding of spatial design. Patterns, formations, pathways, directions, levels, size of movement.
- Exploration of dance styles and Improving technique. Introduction to movements from set phrases.
- Within Her Eyes by James Cousins and A linha Curva by Itzik Galili
- Choreographic approaches and use of video recording to aid analysis and bring about improvement of own work. Focus on choreographic processes i.e research. Understanding how to respond creatively to a stimulus.
- Introduction to movements from set phrases Breathe and Shift. Exploring contact and weight-taking.
Year 11 Overview
- Emancipation of Expressionism by Kendrick H20 Sandy
- Artificial Things by Lucy Bennett.
- Shadows by Christopher Bruce
- Analysis of action, space and dynamic.
- Assessment Task 1: Solo Performance
- Understanding the rehearsal process. Understanding the physical, technical and expressive skills. Understanding mental skills and attributes needed for performance.
- Infra by Wayne McGregor
- Within Her Eyes by James Cousins.
- A Linha Curva by Iztik Galili
Choreographic intent – understanding it’s importance and relevance to a successful dancer. Research and the importance of an artistic vision.
Assessment task 2: duet/ trio performances
- Assessment task 3: Choreography.
Miss Scott- Head of PE